Eco Tourism Programs @ Munnar
- KFDC flower Gardern
- Tea Museum
- Marayoor Sandal division
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
Plus guided trekking, food, tea and snacks. Advance booking required. Journey will start from Munnar Wildlife Division Office at 8 am and end at 8 pm. Fee: Rs. 1200 per person (Foreign National – Rs. 1500 per person)
- The fee includes the bus fare, entry to KFDC Gardern, Tea Museum, Rajamala, Lakkom Waterfalls, Interpretation Centre Karimutty, Watch Tower Chinnar, Trekking in Chinnar and Cultural visit to Alampetty Caves and Dolmens.
- It also includes the cost of mineral water, memento, tea and snacks at Lakkom Waterfalls, lunch at Chinnar and Tea and snacks at Alampetty.
- Cameras and video cameras will be charged additionally.
- Booking for the programmes can be done directly at the Forest Information Centre, Wildlife Warden’s Office, Munnar Town.
- Reservation facility is available during working hours.
- Booking need to be done in advance.
- The journey starts only after effecting the full payment.
- The trips shall be conducted only if there is a booking of minimum 10 seats.
- Booking shall be done against advance payment of Rs. 500/- per head. Advance amount shall not be refunded.
Eravikulam National Park
The most sought after destination in Munnar is the Eravikulam National Park, the first of its kind in Kerala, where the endangered Nilgiri Thar is protected. Spread over 97 sq. km., this park holds the largest viable population of Tahr, several other species of rare animals, birds and butterflies. The park offers a magnificent view of the tea plantations and also of the rolling hills caressed by blankets of mist. The park becomes a hot destination when the hill slopes get covered in a carpet of blue, resulting from the flowering of Neelakurinji. It is a plant endemic to this part of the Western Ghats which blooms once in twelve years.
Located inside the Eravikulam National Park is the Anamudi Peak, the highest peak in south India standing at a height of 2695m. Entry is restricted but the view can be enjoyed from a distance at Rajamala.
Rajamala is the tourism zone of Eravikulam National Park and is a place where one can see Nilgiri Tahr at close quarter.The tourism zone will be closed in calving season during Feb – March every year. Visitors can get assured sighting of Nilgiri Tahr, feel the kurinji and experience the shola grassland eco system. Visitors will be picked from 5th Mile on safari buses and dropped back. The park have restaurants, eco shops and an amenity centre. Entry time 7.30 am – 4.00 pm Fee: Indian – Rs. 90/- Children – Rs. 65/- Foreigne National – Rs. 360/- Reservation fee Rs 50/- (Reservation counter 9 am – 3 pm at Information centre, Munnar)
A soft trekking in the morning and evening through the misty tracks of the Nilgiri Thar and Kurinji filled grass lands. Trek duration: 3 hours Time: 8am-11am and 3pm- 4.30pm. at Eravikulam National Park Fee: Indian- Rs. 200 /person Foreign National – Rs.300/- person (minimum two persons)
Lakkom Water Falls
The crystal clear water originating from the core zone of Eravikulam National Park flows to river Pambar, one of the east flowing rivers in Kerala, which ultimately joins river Cauvery in Tamil nadu. Lakkom waterfalls is a natural fall which cascades down the hill side, lending an enchanting view. This is on the road side from Munnar to Marayoor. There is eco shop cafeteria and refreshing centre to provide services to visitors. Fee: Rs. 20/- per person.
Stay at Lakkom log house
Like a hidden bird nest under the forest cover, close to the falls, the log house offfers a high end comfortable accommodation to visitors. One can cherish the solitude and wilderness, the sweet music of falls and forest birds as well as caring services and complimentary food. Reporting time 3 pm at Lakkom Water falls. Tariff: Rs. 3000/- for two Indians Rs. 4000/- for Foreigner. Extra person – Rs. 1000/-
Trekking through the beautiful forest paths meandering along the Lakkom Water falls. Refreshments and complimentary snacks will be provided. Trek duration: 1 hour. Time: 8am-11am and 3pm- 4.30pm. at Lakkom water Falls Fee: Rs. 100 per person
Explore Wild Munnar : Rs. 1200 per person (Foreigners- Rs. 1500) Kurinji Trail :Indian- Rs. 290 /person Foreigners- Rs. 560 /person (minimum two persons) Lakkom Water fall :Rs. 20 – Cascade Walk: Rs. 100 I person. Lakkom log house: Rs. 3000 two Indian and Rs. 4000 Foreigners. Additional person – Rs.1000 (maximum 4 persons)